[Kolab-devel] Handheld devices and Kolab

Matt Douhan matt at fruitsalad.org
Tue Apr 5 19:10:05 CEST 2005

Hello

Just a quick note to let you guys know that we had a customer that required
IPAQ's to sync with kolab in a mixed client environment, and it causes some
weird and wonderful issues and solutions but it can be done and it does work
nicely.

for OL users using the connector does the job nicely, and all one has to do is
install activesync and enjoy.

for Kontact users on the other hand life is not so simple, one needs a
converter from Kolab XML -> OL format, and we solved this by using a terminal
server with activesync, this allows us to share the "ipaq" calendar to the
kontact user, same account different clients, then we got into troubles with
two clients accesing the data at the same time so this was not a good one. So
we decided to create an IPAQ user and configure the terminal server to give
the real user access to its calendar, and in kontact we simply made that
calendar the default calendar and that way we keep things in sync, this is
pretty new stuff and not very refined but the customer is happy so far and
the solution is stable as far as we can see.

Web users, we solved in the same way, outlook on a terminal server that sorts
out the sync.

a "hackish" but stable solution and in a mixed environment we were not able to
find any other workable solution, since the IPAQ does not speak Kolab XML

More detailed info avail on request is specific questions are asked :)

rgds

Matt

--
Matt Douhan