[Kolab-devel] universal inbox? outlook outgoing transport

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Oct 27 14:16:57 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 11:26:46PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> I have thought back and forth about the modeling cases
> (together with Martin).
>
> I believe that it is most important that we can make reminders
> fire in some folders (the ones where we have the corresponding
> imap annotation) which are different from the default folder.
> This would allow us to model privacy with a private folder,
> because you use usually do not invite many people nor get
> many notifications.
> Also it would allow group accounts to work reasonably.

More information suggest that we can live without
the alarms in a corporate context.
Most employers will take the position that on a workplace machine
reminders for private appointments are not crucial.
And if those persons really want those reminder they
could use harmless subjects and texts in the default folder like:
"a private appointment".

> On Monday 25 October 2004 17:51, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On the universal inbox approach: It might be enough that
> we just say: All clients must to the transport themselfs which
> would allow you to just keep on using pop3.

> So Kontact would use IMAP to get mail and put
> in in the default real inbox and you can continue using pop3 for doing so.
> What needs more thought is: How would someone running ol toltec
> would see that something is there when there are only read permissions
> on the inbox. Ah hackish answer would be: Make it possible for that person
> to also retrieve emails via pop.

It is actually a more important requirement and the solution
could be to add another resource transport rule that
will transport non iCalendar notification emails
from the incoming spool to the imap folder marked as default
for mail.

This way several OL-Toltec users could immedeately see the emails,
especially the ones that should only have read access.
If you really need to answer notifications, then you need to
fully have pop account.

There two another possible dirty workarounds:
	(works with OL 2003 as least)
	Move on calender to the default calendar manually
	deal with the notifcation: move it back.

	We hack a possibility in cyrus to have a second person
	being able to retrieve pop via their credentials, if they
	are a delegate or so.