[Kolab-devel] rejected mail with the following error: "does not match envelope"

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Nov 19 13:57:09 CET 2004

On Friday 19 November 2004 03:04, Steffen Hansen wrote:
> On Friday 12 November 2004 15:31, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 November 2004 10:31, Peter Berry wrote:
> > > I updated my Kolab2 install with the lastest packages and I am now
> > > getting the following error for alot of legitimate incoming mail:
> >
> > I am just thinking about this.
> > Are there reasons to define exceptions for incoming hosts?
> >
> > Steffen: Do we do this check on all incoming email, even when from
> > trusted hosts?
> > (Just curious.)
>
> Yes. I don't really have access to any information besides what is in
> the mail. And I can't set up two different smtpds where one listens to
> the localhost interface and the other one to the public one -- because
> we always receive mail for the filtering smtpd from localhost. The
> reason is that we do our own filtering _after_ the virus filter, and
> that is always local.
>
> Suggestions are welcome of course

I think we need to refine this check to only check our own email addresses
and the ones that are on top of our domain, so

.*@.*\.our.mail.domain
for the "envelope" address and from address.

That would allow legitimate mail in and
forged email from inside needs to have the envelop correctly,
when authenticating (right?) so it will checked.