[Kolab-devel] Re: bernhard: server/kolab/kolab/templates amavisd.conf.template, 1.1, 1.2

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Nov 18 17:06:46 CET 2004

Hi Stephan,

On Thursday 18 November 2004 13:29, Stephan Buys wrote:
> I think you have made a mistake changeing to:
> > +$final_virus_destiny      = D_DISCARD;  # (defaults to D_BOUNCE)
> > +$final_banned_destiny     = D_DISCARD;  # (defaults to D_BOUNCE)
>
> If you reread the D_DISCARD help:
> # D_DISCARD  mail will not be delivered to its recipients, sender will NOT
> be #            notified. Effectively we lose mail (but will be quarantined
> #            unless disabled). Losing mail is not decent for a mailer, #
>         but might be desired.

Actually if you read that you see that it will be quarantined (so not lost).

> The sender is not notified - contrary behavior from what you desire
> according to you log entry.

No I wrote:
	* Virus and banned files will be quarantined and the recipient notified.

so I indeed did not want to notify  the sender. ;-)

> For a mailer to just "drop" mails, ie. discard them is _very_ bad.

I know, this is why I changed the spam default behvaiour to D_PASS.

> If you want to go the quarantine route I suggest that we setup a default
> quarantine mailbox in the same fashion as the postmaster and abuse mailbox.

I think that viruses and mails with banned file names will be quarantines
in a directory now, which is good behaviour.

> To me it makes sense for virus to be bounced. Its a courtesy to let the
> sender know they have an email virus??

No, actually this makes the email to appear lost, because of many
bounces, many people will discard them.
The notifcation of senders is really annoying, because of the forged
email headers by many viruses, so it does not tell you anything.

> My suggestion is to properly configure quarantining and make the "final
> destiny" D_BOUNCE.

I think quarantining is configured in a directory and bouncing is a bad default.
Of course in a real setup the admin want to tune those parameters
and might find a different policy more useful.
I just talked with a  couple of people and got convinced that
qurantining in a directory and passing though marked is the best default,
to not make anybody unhappy.