[Kolab-devel] Re: bernhard: server/kolab/kolab/templates amavisd.conf.template, 1.1, 1.2

Steffen Hansen steffen at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Thu Nov 18 14:02:23 CET 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 13:29, Stephan Buys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think you have made a mistake changeing to:
> > +$final_virus_destiny      = D_DISCARD;  # (defaults to D_BOUNCE)
> > +$final_banned_destiny     = D_DISCARD;  # (defaults to D_BOUNCE)
>
> If you reread the D_DISCARD help:
> # D_DISCARD  mail will not be delivered to its recipients, sender
> will NOT be #            notified. Effectively we lose mail (but will
> be quarantined #            unless disabled). Losing mail is not
> decent for a mailer, #            but might be desired.
>
> The sender is not notified - contrary behavior from what you desire
> according to you log entry.
>
> For a mailer to just "drop" mails, ie. discard them is _very_ bad.
>
> If you want to go the quarantine route I suggest that we setup a
> default quarantine mailbox in the same fashion as the postmaster and
> abuse mailbox.
>
> To me it makes sense for virus to be bounced. Its a courtesy to let
> the sender know they have an email virus??

As long as you can't trust the return path address, this does not work.
How many mails per day to you get from stupid virus-scanners who think
you sent them virus? I know I get some almost every day...

But anyway, bringing this up is good. What exactly do we want to do with
virus- and spam-mail?

regards
--
Steffen Hansen          |       Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
Senior Software Engineer|       http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se