[Kolab-devel] universal inbox? outlook outgoing transport

Steffen Hansen steffen at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Tue Nov 2 23:11:30 CET 2004

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 17:53, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> If a users breaks the script, it will not hurt much.
> It is needed only in the case that a multi-group account
> shall be read by many OL users immedeately.
> In this case vacation and forwarding will not be used normally.

Ok, can you summarize why exactly we need this?

I understand that Outlook is too dumb to run new mail from the IMAP
INBOX thru it's iCal filters so it wants to fetch new mail over POP3
instead and then later upload it to INBOX/Inbox.

Kontact OTOH has no problems like that and just sees unseen messages in
INBOX as new mail.

Who has a problem here that we're trying to solve? Outlook or Kontact?
Kontact could just as well move the mail to INBOX/Inbox coulnd't it?
That could even happen before IMAP sync by issuing a COPY and a DELETE
so kontact doesn't have to download all new mail and then upload it
again.

Next thing is that a Sieve script installed by the server wont know the
name of the "Inbox" folder -- only the client knows if it's called
Inbox or Posteingang or whatever, so only the client can install that
script.

Sorry if I still don't really understand the problem, but I have to
"resist" attempts at pushing functionality from the client to the
server in order to keep in line with the original Kolab scalability
thoughts.

regards
--
Steffen Hansen          |       Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
Senior Software Engineer|       http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se