[Kolab-devel] CVS - New Modules and Tools (releng, devel, utils)

Thomas Lotterer thl at dev.de.cw.com
Tue May 4 22:29:45 CEST 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004, Martin Konold wrote:

> Am Monday 03 May 2004 10:37 pm schrieb Thomas Lotterer:
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> > devtool.func and run that generated script. Strong rpm feeling,
> > simple and powerful. [...]
>
> What is the advantage of %scriptlets compared to the old Makefile
> approach?

I have never closely examined the existing Makefile approach. In
general, Makefiles are useful when you accept the annoying tab problem,
the confusion when release engineering stuff mixes up with distribution
stuff (both using Makefiles for different things) and the error-prone
task of proper dependency maintenance. No real showstoppers for
developers. In fact, I often use Makefiles for various tasks.

When I contributed that stuff the goal was to improve release
engineering and version numbering. I did not (re)invent the wheel so
I took what I'm using for years. Unlike daily coding, when it comes
to release engineering everthing has to be built from scratch so the
primary advantage of Makefiles being able to do incremental work is lost
anyway.

It is not so important which tool is used but Kolab is in desperate need
for a proper release engineering and version numbering. In the end, a
release should be done as easy as "./devtool release" or "make release"
to get a versioned tarball out of the door. The script snippets that
drive the release are very similar in both cases.

--
Thomas.Lotterer at cw.com, Cable & Wireless