[Kolab-devel] Installer and OpenPKG

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Mar 12 12:03:27 CET 2004

On Friday 12 March 2004 10:50, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 March 2004 16:12, Stephan Buys wrote:

> > We want to make a Fedora based installer for Kolab which is
> > where the Anaconda definition of the kolab.bootrap file comes
> > in.
>
> It would be interesting to know the reasons for the Anaconda
> installer and how it will work.
> Using an OpenPKG 2.0 Kolab Server package, there
> are two difficulties left:
> 	- How to disable or reconfigure other services using the same ports
> 	on the machine
> 	- download a lot of files and start the script
> I image an Anaconda installer addressing these issues,
> but not more. Am I correct?

Many people asked about the use of OpenPGK.
I believe it was a good decision to use OpenPGK,
as it is quite suitable for the server installations
Kolab Server is targetting. Unfortunately many people had
problems with Kolab's installation and blamed it on
OpenPKG, because they did not know OpenPKG
and assumed it was the cause.
As we improve the installations instructions
and the OpenPGK packages, those problems would be gone.

We probably need a good text
so people can understand why we use OpenPGK
on the webpage.

I've tried starting one.
Attached my draft, based on the SGML version we
had. It is not completed yet, but I wanted to give you a
rough outline.
	Bernhard