[Kolab-devel] Running freshclam by cron?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Aug 9 17:32:10 CEST 2004

On Monday 09 August 2004 14:07, konold at erfrakon.de wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 July 2004 19:10, Thomas Arendsen Hein wrote:
> > > freshclam is run as kolab-r
> >
> > Does that mean we run freshclam by cron by default now?
> > I wonder if we should make this configurable as some people
> > do not like automatic online updates by default.
>
> In the case of antivirus patterns imho this simply makes no sense. AV is
> only useful with the most recent patterns.

Still automatically pulled updates are something with is
a new class of operation of a system which is rightfully watched
closely by administrators.

> This is not the same as with updates of software binaries!

If someone manages to get you a different pattern in,
it is another attach vector which might be combined with others.
(Update to no patterns and then spam/fake.)