[Kolab-devel] Kolab WebClient RC1 release

Stuart Bingë s.binge at codefusion.co.za
Fri Oct 3 14:54:43 CEST 2003

Hello all,

We've just released a new version of the Kolab Webclient. If you
consider our previous releases as being beta quality, then this release
can be considered Release Candidate 1. I won't say all, but about 90%+
of the functionality is in - this is where you guys come in. We need as
much testing & feedback as possible on this so that we can move quickly
towards a stable `final' release.

NOTE: This release is based on a CVS snapshot (from around mid-august)
of the Horde code, so there may be some issues with that as well as with
the horde/kolab 'glue' code. In either event, post any issues to the
kolab-devel list so that we can try to resolve them as quickly as possible.

  *** How to install *** :

  - BEFORE YOU START, if you already have a previous Webclient release
then you should uninstall/move it before continuing, or else it will be
overwritten. If you've installed one of our previous RPM packages, then
you can uninstall by doing the following:

# rpm -e horde

from withing the Kolab openpkg hierarchy.

  - Download kolab-webclient-20031002.tar.bz2 from the following URL:

http://www.erfrakon.de/projects/kolab/download/kolab-webclient/20031002/kolab-webclient-20031002.tar.bz2

  - Move to your base kolab directory, e.g. /kolab.
  - Make sure you are a user with suitable permissions to write to the
kolab directory tree (e.g. root) and then execute:

# tar -xvjf /path/to/kolab-webclient-20031002.tar.bz2

This will create two subdirectories, namely lib/php/pear containing all
the Pear libraries that are needed, and var/kolab/www/horde, where the
webclient resides.
  - Put the following in <KolabBase>/etc/kolab/httpd.conf.template,
replacing <KolabBase> with the root of your kolab tree (e.g. /kolab):

<Directory "<KolabBase>/var/kolab/www/horde">
    Options +FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None

    php_value include_path '<KolabBase>/lib/php/pear/:.'
    php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off
    php_flag track_vars On
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

  - Execute:

# <KolabBase>/etc/kolab/kolab -o -v

  - Execute:

# <KolabBase>/etc/rc.d/rc.apache reload

- Edit <KolabBase>/var/kolab/www/horde/config/conf.php and change the
relevant 'server' attributes (e.g. ldaphost, ldapbasedn, maildomain,
etc) from their defaults if neccessary for your setup.

That's it! Connect to http://your.web.server/horde/ and enjoy!

  *** How to uninstall *** :

# rm -rf <KolabBase>/lib/php/pear
# rm -rf <KolabBase>/var/kolab/www/horde

  - Delete the ` <Directory "<KolabBase>/var/kolab/www/horde"> ' entry
from your <KolabBase>/etc/kolab/httpd.conf.template

# <KolabBase>/etc/kolab/kolab -o -v
# <KolabBase>/etc/rc.d/rc.apache reload

Stuart Bingë
Code Fusion cc.