[Kolab-devel] Where do we start?

Diego Rivera lrivera at racsa.co.cr
Wed May 14 18:52:11 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 12:30, Stephan Buys wrote:
> 4) We also need to think about a solution around distribution list. Either through aliasing
> with postfix or through integrating a mailing list manager.

Mailing List managers provide different, global functionality (which is
also desirable under certain scenarios).  However, personal distribution
lists are another animal altogether.  Something like allowing Joe's
"Friends" dist-list to contain A, B and C e-mail addresses, but Mary's
"Friends" to contain X, Y and Z e-mails would be what I perceive as
"distribution lists" rather than the classical Mailing lists (personal
mailing lists maybe?).

While implementing this at a local client level (i.e. local addx books)
is not difficult, doing this at a central address book level might prove
a bit more challenging.

However, when you get into this, you have to start doing stuff like
warning the user when he's created a dist-list which matches an already
existing e-mail address (or providing both as selectable options).

Just my thoughts on the matter.  If I'm off-base, don't shoot me - set
me straight! ;)

Best

* Diego Rivera                                            *
* "The Disease: Windows, the cure: Linux"                 *
* E-mail: lrivera<AT>racsa<DOT>co<DOT>cr                  *
* Replace: <AT>='@', <DOT>='.'                            *
* GPG: BE59 5469 C696 C80D FF5C  5926 0B36 F8FF DA98 62AD *
* GPG Public Key avaliable at: http://pgp.mit.edu         *