Kolab 16 on Debian - upgrade error

Daniel Hoffend dh at dotlan.net
Tue Jan 8 14:19:28 CET 2019

Hi Christoph

I'm semi okay with your idea. This this has a couple drawbacks: Not
every roundcubemail configuration file would get created by setup-kolab.

The way to go would be:
- defaults.php stays defaults.php
- config.php gets renamed to config.php.dist (.dist for distribution is
a common suffix afaik)
- same applies to <plugin>.php in the roundcubemail-plugins-kolab
package
- in the debian/postinst section we should do a test if config.php
doesnt exist, cp config.php.dist config.php to ensure we have a complete
configuration.

This way the initial installation gets a full valid configuration and
during an upgrade you don't get asked if you want to replace your
existing configuration.

But the default answer (if you want to replace a file) is indeed to keep
your existing configuration. Even if you run apt-get upgrade in
non-interactive mode, it will preserve your configuration unless you as
admin do an error and select the wrong option manually!

But on the other hand: I like to have the notification if something has
changed, because otherwise you don't notice if a plugin has updated
their config syntax or introduced new options. But I can understand the
risk. In the end it's a user/admin error and it shows how got your
backup is

--
Regards
Daniel