New Kolab install in a VM, practical partitioning & sizing recommendations?

gornle at fastmail.com.au gornle at fastmail.com.au
Tue May 12 16:43:40 CEST 2015

I'm new to Kolab, setting up a 1st instance for production.

It'll run in a Xen DomU.

I've ~50 users, transacting ~1000 emails/day, with existing storage of ~ 1Gb/user that'll be migrated from another server.

I want to get to a sensible partitioning scheme.

I've been reading the docs, and although there's a LOT of detailed theoretical discussion, e.g.

	Storage Considerations for Kolab
	  https://docs.kolab.org/deployment-guide/storage.html
	  https://kolab.dotlan.net/docs/deployment-guide/storage.html

I've not found any solid "do this" practical, real-world advice for creating and sizing partitions.

In the now many-hundreds of posts I've perused, the only thoughtful thread on the matter I've managed to find so far is here,

	Partitioning Scheme
	http://lists.kolab.org/pipermail/users/2014-January/016352.html

which suggests partitions of

	/var/lib/imap
	/var/lib/dirsrv
	/var/lib/mysql
	/var/lib/amavis
	/var/spool/imap
	/var/spool/postfix
	/var/log

That has me a bit confused since there's both

	/var/lib/imap

and

	/var/spool/imap

whereas this,

	https://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/preparing-the-system.html

suggests

	/var/lib/dirsrv/
	/var/lib/mysql/
	/srv/imap/config/
	/srv/imap/default/

and if you read a bit between the lines, that's in addition to

	/
	/tmp

And, there's no easy scaling logic -- "for this volume, use this partitioning as a start ..."

What I'm looking for is a set of recommendations, with the logic behind them, for creating sizing Kolab's partitions -- in particular addressing any additional considerations when deployed in a DomU (partitions passed in as individual LVs, or created within the DomU on a single blockdev? how should /tmp (tmpfs) be dealt with?  separate swap partition? etc etc)

My goal is to minimze resource allocation for the VM deployment, keeping it as efficient as possible, but NOT hamstringing myself right out of the gate.

I can't imagine that others haven't asked the same questions.

If there is already a good doc/tutorial on the issue , I'd appreciate any links .  If not, any real-world experience-based advice would be really helpful!

Thanks for any help & advice!

-gornle