Cyrus Update for Kolab 3.4

Andy Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Wed Dec 9 10:51:45 CET 2015

On Wednesday December 9 2015 08:43:48 Daniel Hoffend wrote:
> Hello Kolab Admins
>
> Last night I've just pushed out a small fix for Cyrus which fixed a
> behaviour with expunging/removing mail messages once they got flagged
> for deletion. Basically the delayed expunging didn't worked at all as
> configured with the default configuration. They bug got fixed in
> february 2 days before the 3.4 release but nobody noticed it ...
>
> Well ... why am I writing this to the mailing list? Maybe you want to
> keep an eye on your performance or you're wondering what's causing the
> huge disk free change :-)
>
> Just on my small installation around 40k out of 120k mails got expunged
> (which freed up around 1GB of space). If you think how many spams you
> delete over time or how many mails you're moving to different folders
> while the origingal mail will be flagged for deletion that number isn't
> unusual ... But maybe your installation has a higher user count and
> therefore more load/changes when the fixed expunging process kicks in.

Do you have a link to this bug?  I couldn't find anything on the kolab bug
tracker nor the cyrus bug tracker.

Was this an unreported problem, with a patch available?

I am not experiencing problems with the delayed expunge.  200+ user
installation in production 4+ months.   The disk use remains at the same pace
prior to the kolab upgrade (was not using delayed expunge previous).

I totally believe you! ;)  I know others have reported the same problem.   I'm
just curious as to the details, and what exactly the problem was.

Andy