Cyrus Update for Kolab 3.4

Daniel Hoffend dh at dotlan.net
Wed Dec 9 11:10:47 CET 2015

Hi Andy

the patch I've applied is this one:
https://cyrus.foundation/cyrus-imapd/commit/imap/cyr_expire.c?id=24c597fac9a464940eb6c4fc5131df0b39d5c86a

The package management update request in OBS
https://obs.kolabsys.com/request/show/1056

I'm not sure which edge cases this all applies to at least in my
scenario
I could verify the fix on the command line using manual execution of the
delayed expunge command:

# Before

 > su - cyrus -c "/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyr_expire -E 4 -X 69 -v"
 > Expunging deleted messages in mailboxes older than 69.00 days
 > Expired 0 and expunged 0 out of 0 messages from 0 mailboxes

This message also repeats in the mail.log every night around 4am as
configured in the imapd.conf.

# Before (but doing it for a single user instead for all mailboxes)

 > su - cyrus -c "/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyr_expire -E 4 -X 69 -u
<my at email>"
 > Expunging deleted messages in mailboxes older than 69.00 days
 > Expired 0 and expunged 14952 out of 69960 messages from 86 mailboxes

So delayed expunge mode worked ... but only of single users in my case.
After manually iterating of all accounts I manually expunged 40k mails.

# Now (after installing the patch)

 > su - cyrus -c "/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyr_expire -E 4 -X 69 -v"
 > Expunging deleted messages in mailboxes older than 69.00 days
 > Expired 0 and expunged 31 out of 75546 messages from 607 mailboxes
Maybe it doesn't apply to all scenarios but the commit notes and my test
before pushing the fix into OBS made me confident that it's okay. Maybe
it's limited to the multidomain setups, who knows.

Too bad no one realized it that 2 days before the 3.4 release it got
in the cyrus repo.

What version if cyrus package/version did/do you've installed? Does
your mail.log reports that messages are regularly are being expunged?
Cause my mail.log was reporting every night that nothing got expunged
up until now.

--
Regards
Daniel Hoffend