Roles & Groups

Daniel Hoffend dh at dotlan.net
Wed Sep 3 15:37:41 CEST 2014

You must see the bigger picture of LDAP and User Management. It's not
just
about a small email server. Many other applications support auth against
ldap servers including allowing access to certain resources via group
memberships.

## Groups

You basically have 4 groups
* Standard Groups (groupOfNames)
* Unix Groups (aka posixGroup) similar to /etc/group but in ldap.
* Distribution List static (static mail distribution list)
* Distribution List dynamic (mail distribution list based on ldap search
filter)

In additional the ldap servers can also provide ACLs for members of
group X
(example HR is allowed to write on some LDAP attributes in ou=People)

## Roles

are something different. While groups are their own object roles are
basically
names/flags attached to an object (mostly user in this case).
Applications can
filter for those user attributes and react to this (similar to group
membership
but different and bound to a user).

Example:
1) The LDAP Server has an ACL that someone with the Role "kolab-admin"
is allowed
    to write at the whole ldap directory
2) Roundcube can be configured to enable certain modules or config
options based
    to assigned roles

You can find some use cases documented here:
https://docs.kolab.org/deployment-guide/hosted-kolab-groupware-deployment.html?highlight=role#differentiating-access-levels

Basically learn about LDAP and what LDAP can do or which application
could make
use of LDAP and how LDAP is beeing used in bigger enviroments. That it
all starts
to make sense. In a small SOHO enviroment with perhabs 5-50 mail
accounts roles
and groups might not be as important.

--
Regards