Debian: Desktop Client for Kolab 3.0?

Diane Trout diane at ghic.org
Thu Jan 24 18:54:35 CET 2013

I really badly wanted debian packages for the latest kde pim and have been
trying to interact with debian-kde.

As I currently understand it the official debian developers are busy trying to
clear up release issues so wheezy can be officially shipped and they can go back
to uploading things to unstable.

Understandably several people (including me) are really interested in the
upcoming 4.10 release and have tried building their own quick and dirty
packages using the kubuntu repositories.

However the Debian KDE developers would like the packages to be based on the
debian package history, and not simply be kubuntu backports. So they have
encouraged us to put progress in to repositories that they can easily review.

I'm currently trying to build 4.9.98 debian derived packages and get a public
git repository up and available for review, and am trying to figure out how to
collaborate with the other interested parties.

I do have a good swath of kubuntu backports for 4.9.97 built. (Though not all
of it, for instance I discovered I forgot to compile the printer control
applet for instance).

So hopefully in the near future one of these two things will be true, debian
packages for some thing close to 4.10 will show up in experimental, or I'll
have a reasonable "ppa" of KDE 4.10 built.

Diane