Looking for input from Kontact users (Andre Heinecke)

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Wed Feb 8 12:20:38 CET 2012

On Tuesday 7 February 2012 12:38:27 Alexander Haensch wrote:
> I think the same as Andre. Kontact was developing very nicely.
> Especially since 4.7.x it is very usable.
> I remember a lot of problems with migration from kmail 1 to kmail 2.

So this will be another nightmare waiting for us should we decide to stay with
Kontact? I've seen these remarks several times and they do not help...
Currently, we still use e35 under Kubuntu 10.04 - and if wiping the config
was all that is needed I'd be almost happy...

[...]
> If you start using kontact today with 4.7.x, you will not be disappointed.

The pilot looks somewhat promising so far, but that's only a single user (and
not one of those that had the most problems) at the moment, so the jury is
still out.

> All these discussed problems with mysql or NFS are not really that
> problematic. Why not using a centralized mysql server? Why not keeping
> kontact caches local? Where is the reason to mirror it via NFS? It is a
> cache of server objects! You do not need it on the server again.

Why? Simplicity. I have a home directory. I mount it from the NFS server and I
expect everything to work then without additional effort. That's the way it
has been in Unix-environments for a long time (yes, I am aware of NFS'
problems and I know this is a simplified statement...). Now I suddenly have
to invent all sorts of extra configurations, scripts and whatnot just to keep
a few applications happy and to separate their stuff from all the other stuff
that's normally stored in $HOME, thus incurring extra work, extra points of
failure and extra need for testing. At the very least this is a nuissance...

Cheerio,

Thomas