Looking for input from Kontact users (Andre Heinecke)

Alexander Haensch alexander.haensch at ipc.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Feb 7 12:38:27 CET 2012

I think the same as Andre. Kontact was developing very nicely.
Especially since 4.7.x it is very usable.
I remember a lot of problems with migration from kmail 1 to kmail 2.
Sometimes it was needed to wipe configdirectories, sometimes akonadi was
not able to start..
But now i am using kontact 4.8.0 on Gentoo and its really working good.
In my opinion, many complaints about kontact are originating from old
versions that are packaged in ubuntu 10.04 or different other long term
maintained distros.
If you start using kontact today with 4.7.x, you will not be disappointed.
All these discussed problems with mysql or NFS are not really that
problematic. Why not using a centralized mysql server? Why not keeping
kontact caches local? Where is the reason to mirror it via NFS? It is a
cache of server objects! You do not need it on the server again.

regards,
Alexander