Upgrade Kolab 2.2.0-32bit to 2.2.2-64bit fails

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Thu Jun 25 11:38:01 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I'm in the process of running the first tests for the upgrade of our Kolab
server from 2.2.0 to 2.2.2. Unfortunately, the I can't seem to get the
upgrade to work the way I was hoping to... What I have done so far:

Our production server runs Debian 4.0 (Etch) 64bit with a 32bit Kolab 2.2.0
OpenPKG installation (we already ran into problems when going from 2.1.0
(coming from a 32bit SuSE 10.0) to 2.2.0 - in the end, we installed from the
32bit binaries). I have set up a second machine with Debian Lenny (5.0) 64bit
(very basic install), made sure gcc was installed, then copied the
complete /kolab directory from the production server to the test machine,
hoping this would give me my "sandbox" to play with the upgrade. I then
verified that the copied kolab installation was functional, then went on to
upgrading.

On first try, the upgrade failed during the very fist package (gzip),
complaining that the C compiler was not able to produce executables. I
checked the logs and came to the conclusion, that it was trying to use the
included cc in /kolab/bin, which seemed to have trouble with the system
libraries of the Debian Lenny system. To force usage of the system gcc, I
removed cc from /kolab/bin.

The second attempt did use the system gcc, but failed at the same point,
again "no executable". The logfile was different, though. Compiling gzip
failed on some remark about "unknown register '%something'" (forgot to save
the file).

Before I dig much more into this a question: Am I trying too much in one go?
There are three changes here: Debian Etch -> Debian Lenny, Kolab 2.2.0 ->
Kolab 2.2.2 and 32bit Kolab installation to 64bit Kolab installation. My
guess is that the latter is causing the trouble rather than the first two,
however, any insight on this matter would be most welcome.

Regards,

Thomas