New native Windows and Mac OS Clients: first beta of Kontact Enterprise 4

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jan 14 23:07:57 CET 2009

On Mittwoch, 14. Januar 2009, Troy Carpenter wrote:
> On Wed January 14 2009 12:09:19 pm Troy Carpenter wrote:
> > 2. I have KDE 4.2rc1 installed on Windows. Is this version Kontact
> > eventually targeted for inclusion in the Windows port?

Eventually yes, all changes to Kontact enterprise are being merged back to KDE
trunk and thus will get into the Kde installer. However it also depends on
the packagers of this installer on kde-windows at . We had to use the branch
to keep all packages fixed to be able to stablelise them for the beta release,
and we'll continue to do this. So the enterprise 4 branch will most likely
have the more stable version of Kontact and the underlying libs.

> > I will continue to play around with it.  I've had two unexplained crashes
> > so far, but given the status of the software, I'm expecting crashes.

> That screeching sound you now hear is the major clash between the Windows
> KDE install and this Kontact package.  This is because each one is
> essentially a KDE installation.  4.2rc1 is what you would expect.  From
> what I can tell, the Kontact package is a 4.1.2 install.

Yes, for the above reasons.

> Windows does NOT handle multiple KDE installs like Linux does because there
> apparently can only be one KDEDIR variable pointing to one install.  Since
> just about all the libs have the same name between the installs, Windows is
> using the first library it finds.  In my case, that was the 4.2rc1 libs.

You can probably remove KDEDIR from the general system's path (and KDEHOME I
guess) and set it for each .bat script to have several environments on one
machine. I haven't tried it, but somehow it will be possible.

> When I removed the 4.2rc1 install (which installed in C:\Program Files\KDE)
> and only used Kontact (in C:\Program Files\Kontact), then Kontact worked
> fine including all the date configuration settings.

Were the crashes gone also?

> So, since I want Kontact more than a current KDE install, I am going to try
> something out there to see how it works.  I am going to do a Windows
> install of KDE 4.1.2, then try to install Kontact into the same directory.
> If that fails miserably, then I guess I'll just settle for Kontact only.

It is bound to fail.

> One other problem I'm finding is that Kontact's Calendar doesn't keep my
> timezone setting.  I've configured it for "Eastern Standard", but once I
> close the settings dialog and reopen it, I see that the timezone setting is
> not kept.  That's causing all my events to be displayed in UTC time instead
> of my local time.

We still have know problems with the timezone settings

Again, thanks for the feedback!
Can you tell on which version of windows you have tried it?

Bernhard

--
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)