New native Windows and Mac OS Clients: first beta of Kontact Enterprise 4

Troy Carpenter troy at carpenter.cx
Wed Jan 14 23:32:44 CET 2009

On Wed January 14 2009 05:07:57 pm Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 14. Januar 2009, Troy Carpenter wrote:
> > On Wed January 14 2009 12:09:19 pm Troy Carpenter wrote:
> > > 2. I have KDE 4.2rc1 installed on Windows. Is this version Kontact
> > > eventually targeted for inclusion in the Windows port?
>
> Eventually yes, all changes to Kontact enterprise are being merged back to
> KDE trunk and thus will get into the Kde installer. However it also depends
> on the packagers of this installer on kde-windows at . We had to use the
> branch to keep all packages fixed to be able to stablelise them for the
> beta release, and we'll continue to do this. So the enterprise 4 branch
> will most likely have the more stable version of Kontact and the underlying
> libs.

Cool.  I did get the system to be all English once I got the other KDE install
out of the way.  After that the Date/Time control panel came up and I could
switch my Country to US and language to US English.

> > > I will continue to play around with it.  I've had two unexplained
> > > crashes so far, but given the status of the software, I'm expecting
> > > crashes.
> >
> > That screeching sound you now hear is the major clash between the Windows
> > KDE install and this Kontact package.  This is because each one is
> > essentially a KDE installation.  4.2rc1 is what you would expect.  From
> > what I can tell, the Kontact package is a 4.1.2 install.
>
> Yes, for the above reasons.
>
> > Windows does NOT handle multiple KDE installs like Linux does because
> > there apparently can only be one KDEDIR variable pointing to one install.
> >  Since just about all the libs have the same name between the installs,
> > Windows is using the first library it finds.  In my case, that was the
> > 4.2rc1 libs.
>
> You can probably remove KDEDIR from the general system's path (and KDEHOME
> I guess) and set it for each .bat script to have several environments on
> one machine. I haven't tried it, but somehow it will be possible.

I'm not going to go through that much trouble to get KDE and Kontact to work.
I mainly want Kontact so I can use all my data (contacts, calendar, email)
from a native application without any tricks like synckolab and Thunderbird.

> > When I removed the 4.2rc1 install (which installed in C:\Program
> > Files\KDE) and only used Kontact (in C:\Program Files\Kontact), then
> > Kontact worked fine including all the date configuration settings.
>
> Were the crashes gone also?

I haven't seen any lately, but the system is still syncing the emails.  I have
many thousands of emails on the server and prefer disconnected IMAP for
"external" PCs like my laptop and my desktop at work.

> > So, since I want Kontact more than a current KDE install, I am going to
> > try something out there to see how it works.  I am going to do a Windows
> > install of KDE 4.1.2, then try to install Kontact into the same
> > directory. If that fails miserably, then I guess I'll just settle for
> > Kontact only.
>
> It is bound to fail.

The main thing I couldn't get to work was the IMAP process.  I didn't try much
else past that.  I reverted my Windows system to use the Kontact version only.

It was nice, though, that Kontact integrated very nicely into the KDE menu as
if it was installed with the KDE installer.

> > One other problem I'm finding is that Kontact's Calendar doesn't keep my
> > timezone setting.  I've configured it for "Eastern Standard", but once I
> > close the settings dialog and reopen it, I see that the timezone setting
> > is not kept.  That's causing all my events to be displayed in UTC time
> > instead of my local time.
>
> We still have know problems with the timezone settings

Well, for the calendar entries, Korganizer is somewhat useless without the
timezone settings since all the entries show up in the wrong timezone.  I'm
also not seeing all the events in the grid for the week and workweek views.
If I switch to the month view, then I see the events.  I think part of the
problem is related to the timezone because Kontact thinks the event starts at
11:00pm and goes until 1:30 the next morning.  In the month view that event
stretches over Wednesday and Thursday.  In the week views it is not there at
all.

> Again, thanks for the feedback!
> Can you tell on which version of windows you have tried it?

This is on Windows XP Pro.

Troy