Kolab - Outlook/Toltec sync hangs

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Mon Apr 6 20:34:42 CEST 2009

Hi all:

Thanks a lot for all your input...

The hang could indeed be fixed by using scanpst.exe.  However, I wonder
(a) why the pst file is damaged at all, apparently somewhat frequently
for some users (they *don't* have extra Outlook plug-ins installed, and
the biggest pst is ~0.65GB) and (b) if there isn't a way to detect this
case reliably.  A "simply not working" calendar is a scary situation!

Am 06.04.09 18:21 schrieb(en) Alfons Lenz:
> The restrictions you describe are not reasonable for us, as we have
> experienced users like developers or software supporters, who need
> their email history in fast access. So we need a solution that works
> with large PST files.

I can only second that!  We have support and sales people who rely on
having access to server-based mail archives, sometimes also sharing
folders with complex structures.

If I may add a more general remark here: It was actually disappointing
for them -and for me, too- that the everyday's performance of
Kolab/Outlook/Toltec is worse than the old Exchange server we used
before migrating to Kolab: Outlook crashes, sync problems, unable to
erase shared sub-folders (issue 3346), people /claim/ it's slower,
etc.  Please don't get me wrong: Kolab is *really* great and works
perfectly with Kontact and other Linux apps, and also with Horde, but
unfortunately our environment is 95% Windows/Outlook...

Thanks, Albrecht.