Kolab - Outlook/Toltec sync hangs

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Fri Apr 10 08:38:29 CEST 2009

Hi Albrecht,

> The hang could indeed be fixed by using scanpst.exe.  However, I wonder
> (a) why the pst file is damaged at all, apparently somewhat frequently
> for some users (they *don't* have extra Outlook plug-ins installed, and
> the biggest pst is ~0.65GB) and (b) if there isn't a way to detect this
> case reliably.  A "simply not working" calendar is a scary situation!

Outlook is a very complex piece of software and does fail all on its own,
even when Toltec is not installed. Please do remember that the anti-virus
9/10 times also installs a plug-in Outlook in most cases the they also
install an IMAP4 proxy as well. If you find that you have a problem setup on
a workstation, just schedule a SCANPST.EXE via the task manager.

> If I may add a more general remark here: It was actually disappointing
> for them -and for me, too- that the everyday's performance of
> Kolab/Outlook/Toltec is worse than the old Exchange server we used
> before migrating to Kolab: Outlook crashes, sync problems, unable to
> erase shared sub-folders (issue 3346), people /claim/ it's slower,
> etc.  Please don't get me wrong: Kolab is *really* great and works
> perfectly with Kontact and other Linux apps, and also with Horde, but
> unfortunately our environment is 95% Windows/Outlook...

Yes the performance will be slower. In Exchange you have a small store on
the server and the bulk of you mail in an archive PST. With the Kolab/Toltec
setup you have everything on the server and that will impact on performance.

You can have a archive on the server. Just map the archive PST to a second
account on the Kolab server or to an account on a second Kolab server. Drop
the synchronization interval on the archive store and you will be set. This
can be done with your existing licenses.

Best Regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557