Postfix and LDAP aliases

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Sep 25 21:45:13 CEST 2008

Quoting "Diego M. Vadell" <dvadell at linuxclusters.com.ar>:

> Hi,
>
>     I installed Kolab 2.2.0 and I'm very happy with it. I has been stable,
> performant and easy to administer so far.
>
>     I added a contact in the Addressbook. This guy has a mail address, and an
> alias. I thought that this was only so it would appear in the LDAP address
> book, but when I send and email to the alias, the email gets rewritten and
> goes to the primary email.
>
>    So I think I can go behind scene and reconfigure postfix not to do that.
> But what is the rationale for that? In what scenario is this useful?

It has been sometimes used for some special address rewriting in
connection with posting to shared folders. But that was also just a
hack. I don't believe it is functionality that is being used very
often. On the other hand we didn't have many people complaining about
it either. I did not yet fully understand why it is a problem for you.

Cheers,

Gunnar