Postfix Virtual Alias Domains & Kolab

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Fri Sep 5 15:33:09 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I have a question about setting up multiple virtual alias domains in
postfix in conjunction with kolab.

The task is to receive mails from the Internet (and probably also
internally) not only for my-default-domain.com, but also for
my-second-domain.com, my-third-domanin.com, etc.  Each and every user
(including the administrative accounts like www, webmaster, etc. etc.)
shall receive the messages for all domains, and they shall all be
submitted into the same inboxes.

In postfix, I have (on an other box) in main.cf

<snip>
mydomain = my-default-domain.com
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain
virtual_alias_domains = my-second-domain.com my-third-domanin.com
virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
</snip>

The file /etc/postfix/virtual contains (among other stuff, like mapping
e.g. root to a real user)

<snip>
@my-second-domain.com	@my-default-domain.com
@my-third-domain.com	@my-default-domain.com
</snip>

Is there any support within Kolab for such a scenario?  I understand
that I could add all secondary domains, and then give each and every
user an extra alias for the extra addresses, but that sounds like
pulling a whale on the beach for many accounts.  So IMO the above
approach would be smarter.

What would be the right way to proceed?  Can I simply add the
virtual_alias_domains statement and an extra virtual_maps entry to
main.cf.template (and of course add the extra virtual file)?  Or would
that break anything?

Oh, and, btw, why doesn't the default main.cf on Kolab contain
'$myhostname, localhost.$mydomain' as mydestination?

Thanks, Albrecht.