Kolab 2.2 addressbook export as spamassassin whitelist

Stefan Bambach sbambach at gmx.net
Tue Oct 21 18:42:05 CEST 2008

Hi,

thx gunnar. I'm a developer. So coding is no problem for me.

> > So how can I export the addressbook from imap?
>
> Any Kolab client should allow you to expert the addressbook into a
> defined format (vCards, csv, etc.).

yes. but i want to export it automatically on server. Is there a command line
client ? (GUI clients are not really an option for automated exports on
server)

> You would of course need to script the conversion to the spamassassin
> format.

right.

>> > Or how can I configure spamassassin that it will read it direktly from my
> > addressbook?
>
> You can't do that. At least not out of the box and it would need some
> serious programming. It is certainly not impossible but I doubt the
> effort is worth the benefit.

No problem. Than I have to generate the correct file format for spamassassin.

> > Perhaps there's a way to install some kind of callback, that will be
> > called when addresses are edited (Although a complete export would be
> > better, than an incrementally callback mechanism)?
> >
> > What are my options to solve this problem?
>
> Also depends on some additional parameters. Is this something you want
> only for your own personal account or should this be server-wide for
> all users?

Since I'm the only person, it doesn't matter. Could be server-wide, yes.
(Thought of storing adressbook in ldap again (as I did before kolab). But I
don't like ldap very much and it's not the way kolab wants to do this)

>> If its just for you I'd just export the addresses once in a while and
> run it through a scripted converter to get the addresses whitelisted.

Would be no problem. But No. I know that I will forget to do that ;-)

What about adapting a java,python,groovy,C, ... client, that can connect to
kolab and export the data? perhaps one of the connectors for other
groupwares ?

Perhaps an simple imap client, that extract the attachments and than parse the
xml?

Or I saw that I can do "grep smtp-address *"
in /kolab/var/imapd/spool/domain/b/blabla.intra/s/user/self/Contacts ...
As long as it will not be base64 encoded/zipped, this simple solution would
work too? But I'm not sure, if sometimes this data will be base64 encoded...

And if I sometimes need more users in kolab, I will merge all contacts in one
global whitelist. That's no problem. It's not a public server.

I really need one thing, after tuning spamassassin again. Whitelist all known
users, as most of the other mails will be marked via spamassassin and than
deleted with sieve... and the tuning will be really hardcore. So you have to
write emails to me really really carefully... No binaries, html, ... Or you
are part of my addressbook... That's the only way to really fight against
spam effectively.

Ideas?

ciao. Stefan