Procmail usage?

Alan Murrell lists at murrell.ca
Thu Nov 23 08:04:48 CET 2006

Hi Thomas.

Thank you for the reply.  I have a question or two for clarification, if you
do not mind...?

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 08:40, Thomas Arendsen Hein wrote:
> In /kolab/etc/kolab/templates/master.cf.template add:
>
> procmail  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>     user=kolab-n flags=DR argv=/usr/bin/procmail -d ${user}
> procmail-user  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>     user=kolab-n flags=DR argv=/usr/bin/procmail -d ${nexthop}

This seems to be rather straight-forward...

> In /kolab/etc/kolab/templates/transport.template add one line for
> every address you want to pass through procmail, e.g.:
>
> user1 at example.com               procmail:
> user2 at example.com               procmail:
> user3 at example.com               procmail:
> the.user.one at example.com        procmail-user:user1

  1.) Is is possible to use something like "@example.com" to enable all mail
for a domain to go through procmail, or does it have to be individual email
addresses?

  2.) In the above example, why does "the.user.one at example.com" get put
through "procmail-user" instead of just "procmail"?

> For reinjecting the mail into Kolab without creating mail loops, you
> need some tricks, e.g. a line in transport.template:
>
> user1+something at example.com          kolabmailboxfilter:
>
> and forwarding the mail to user1+something at example.com in the
> procmail rules.

OK, so in my setup, all users will have an @murrell-van.local email address,
with an email alias consisting of an @murrell.ca address (i.e., a
"real-world" email address)

My transport.template file should have something like:

  user1 at murrell-van.local     procmail:
  user2 at murrell-van.local     procmail:
  user3 at murrell-van.local     procmail:

and so on.

Could I then use the @murrell.ca address to have the email re-injected into
Kolab by forwarding the mail to that address in procmail, even though it's
setup as an alias?  If so, I am guessing I would then need to also add
something like this to the transport.template file:

  user1 at murrell.ca     kolabfilter
  user2 at murrell.ca     kolabfilter
  user3 at murrell.ca     kolabfilter

and so on.

Does it matter which email address I designate to go through procmail and
which one I forward to back into Kolab via procmail rules?

(I hope this makes some sense...?)

Thanks, once again. :-)

-Alan Murrell