Help with timezone problems in kontact proko2

T. Ribbrock admin_slox-e at itsef.com
Mon Mar 27 13:18:55 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I have a question wrt timezone setting in kontact. When we rolled out the
first clients, we ran kolabwizard on all involved accounts and referred to
doc2 for further information. doc2 does not mention any special
requirements for timezone settings (Settings -> Configure KOrganizer ->
Time & Date -> Timezone), so we left it at what it was: "not selected".
The assumption at the time was that kontact would then use the system
default, which is set to "Europe/Amsterdam".

Things became messy when one of our users found the timezone settings and
decided to set it to "Europe/Amsterdam". Naively, I would have expected
this to have no impact (all machines *are* set to this timezone anyway),
but instead, all her meeting requests were now off by two hours in
everybody else's agenda.

Therefore my questions:
- Is it or is it not required to set "Timezone" in kontact? doc2 doesn't
  mentioned it but
  http://kolab.org/doc/kde-client-manual-0.9cvs20030801-html/x277.html
  DOES mention it and recommends to set it to the correct zone.

- Why does kontact add an additional offset to the setting the rest of the
  system has - shouldn't it be able to see that the system already uses a
  specific timezone and deal with it accordingly?

As usual: All hints welcome!

Regards,

Thomas