setting up kolab in a home network

Alan Hartless harty83 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 04:59:21 CET 2006

Hello folks,

I have searched and searched with no avail.

Here's my setup and issue:

I've got a home network.  I have a dynamic ip and a router.  I have an account
set up with dyndns so I don't have to worry about the dynamic ip address.  I
have a desktop that I'm using as my server.  Its hostname is "hartysdesktop."
And my dyndns account is the same as "accountname.getmyip.com"

Okay, so I have set up Kolab on my desktop.  I've tried entering many
different things for the domain name and the mail domain.  The only time I
can get the thing to work successfully are when I have both set to
hartysdesktop or both set to localhost.  Any other combination (i've tried
"accountname.getmyip.com," localhost.localdomain, hartysdesktop with
accountname.getmyip.com as the mail domain, and others) and I get an error
that says that the folder calendar can not be written when I try to sync my
client (from my laptop) and that I probably don't have permissions to write.
However, when I use hartysdesktop or localhost as the server, postfix will
change the email addresses to "user at hartysdesktop.localhost" or
"user at localhost.localhost" so I can't get my emails delivered to the kolab
server because they all bounce.

I have tried the "accountname.getmyip.com" but I guess my dsl provider or
router will not allow it since it is originating and ending within my
network.

So I'm currently stuck.  What do I need to do to get this thing working?  I've
read some things about /etc/hosts but I'm not totally for sure what to do
with it.  Currently its:

127.0.0.1 localhost hartysdesktop

Hope this isn't too confusing.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Night folks!
Alan