kolabd package available in Debian sid

Markus Heller markus at relix.de
Sun Apr 9 01:59:56 CEST 2006

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your remarks on dist_conf. I'll try that asap.

I am willing to help indeed. Though, my problem is little free time, as I'm
busy with my doctorate...

Nevertheless, what I promise to do is to report bugs as I see them. I also
follow up to bugs and look after the bug tickets. I hope, any kind of
discussion is also good for the project. In this sense Ihope to contribute as
a kolab user.

> The problem here is that cyrus and postfix need patches to have kolab
> working correctly.  See:
> http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab-major-app-patches If those patches
> are not part of the mainstream projects, it will be hard to make kolab part
> of a distro too.  Do you (Markus) want to push the cyrus and postfix
> people.  Some of us already did, perhaps you have more success.
>
> Once those patches are in the mainstream projects, distro's could consider
> to distribute kolab.  Although for suse about 7 additional packages are
> needed...

Thanks for your hints. Let me try that, but not now as I'll have to give a
talk on Monday :-)

> > Another development goal must be modularity. We need to focus the
> > business
>
> Who is we?  The kolab konsortium will not (or most likely) not extent kolab
> without customer contract.  Will you be adding resources or code to kolab?
We? The community and everyone who is willing to contribute. Including myself.
relix has been an expert network and we're converting to be an enterprise.
For this purpose I try to use kolab as a central application. I see that
shared folders make up an excellent storage for project related data.

Though, we'd better have a client which manages all the subfolders (contacts,
tasks etc), but this is a Kontact related thing. I'd love to program this,
but only after I'll have finished my dissertation. :-)

> For all this, see above for my remark about the kolab konsortium.  What is
> your idea, about how "we" can make kolab better?
> I look forward to see kolab work together with sipx.  No idea how to
> accomplish that though... :(  Do you have an idea?
This topic is also on my wishlist: To integrate any kind of enterprise
communication. Not just emails, but also phone and fax.

Univention have built the Univention Corporate Server, on base of kolab, and
they say to have bundled asterisk for this purpose. The downside is that it
is a commercial product and AFAIK not open. Does anybody know more?

I already thought if and how it could be possible to integrate some kind of
preconfigured asterisk. Say, you could assign a final number to every kolab
user. And then you would just need to configure some kind of uplink, either
IAX or SIP, and you would also need to be able to assign users to specific
uplink connections.

I mean, there is this wonderfil device fom AVM (fritz!box) which handles all
these VoIP connections and the config is rather simple. IMHO, this simple
interface should be feasible in kolab, too.

At the beginning of this entire discussion there must be the question on how
to extend the Web Config GUI and how to allow for config plugins. Maybe this
could be a central goal for the next release. Then Third-party developers
could start to add their funktions and offer the according services in a nice
manner.

Best wishes,
Markus