kolabd package available in Debian sid

Richard Bos radoeka at xs4all.nl
Sat Apr 8 22:32:58 CEST 2006

Hello Markusm

Op zaterdag 8 april 2006 00:40, schreef Markus Heller:
> > Yes, it would be nice to have more ports, including a Debian one
> > and we are encouraging them, but this is a lot of work for the
> > developers.

Huh, is it?  Just create the right dist_conf file and build the packages.  It
is not so difficult anymore...  As debian is most likely using php4, there is
no php issue either.  Somebody should just do it.

Benoit Mortieralready started it, see:
http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/server/kolabd/kolabd/dist_conf/debian

> this really makes me smile... Being a debian kina guy, too, I absolutely
> support the idea of having deb packages. And I don't want to look
> backwards, because that was a hell lot of work, and I am sooooo thankful to
> everybody who has helped to get kolab so far.

Put up your sleeves, and configure the debian dist_conf file ;)

> Instead we must look forward and see where we have deficits: It is really
> vital to get kolab into the main distributions, and we'll only reach this
> if we get rid of openpkg. SuSE/Novell will never include something in their
> distro which doesn't fit into the FHS. And the others won't either.

The problem here is that cyrus and postfix need patches to have kolab working
correctly.  See: http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab-major-app-patches
If those patches are not part of the mainstream projects, it will be hard to
make kolab part of a distro too.  Do you (Markus) want to push the cyrus and
postfix people.  Some of us already did, perhaps you have more success.

Once those patches are in the mainstream projects, distro's could consider to
distribute kolab.  Although for suse about 7 additional packages are
needed...

> Another development goal must be modularity. We need to focus the business

Who is we?  The kolab konsortium will not (or most likely) not extent kolab
without customer contract.  Will you be adding resources or code to kolab?

> perspective: Here ar relix we see that with shared folders, Kolab actually
> makes up a rather good crm infrastructure. But to be really good, it takes
> more. Having hundreds of shared folders and navigating in a huge tree is a
> little annoying. There should be a crm tool on basis of kolab, perhaps as a
> kpart in Kontact.
>
> Some more: Horde should be really reliably integrated in kolab. No
> frickling around to get it runnig! One click in a graphical install tool
> and that's it! Go and look at the installation process of SugarCRM or
> typo3. This must be the aim. We should start to create an entire
> application market. It should be worth for companies to develop plugins for
> Kolab.
>
> The web frontend must become an easy to configure portal framework. It must
> be easy to turn kolab into a communication platform for societies. Have a
> look at the extension concept of typo3! Figure out, you can just download
> web extensions through a web backend, and they install upon a click. In
> typo3, it's similar to apt on Debian.
>
> Let's look beyond the horizon: M$ are integrating Sharepoint Portal Server
> and Exchange. And they're adapting their entire Office Suite framework to
> collaborate with this conglomerate.
>
> They're just about to create another big monopoly, and I really don't want
> to stay back.

For all this, see above for my remark about the kolab konsortium.  What is
your idea, about how "we" can make kolab better?
I look forward to see kolab work together with sipx.  No idea how to
accomplish that though... :(  Do you have an idea?

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless