help installing Kolab

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Mar 1 16:42:47 CET 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 16:11, Ivor wrote:
> please can someone tell me where I am going wrong. I have downloaded all
> the files from
> http://ftp.kolab.org/kolab/server/development/current/sources/
>
> I copy the files to /kolabtemp, I then mkdir /usr/local/kolab.
> I then ln -s /usr/local/kolab /kolab
>
> this creates the soft link
>
> I then run :
>
> sh obmtool kolab and this is what i get:
>
>     ./obmtool kolab
>     ---- boot/build TestServ %kolab ----
>     obmtool:NOTICE: did not find openpkg/rpm executable.
> Checking/fetching binary sh.
>     obmtool:NOTICE: did not find binary sh. Checking/fetching source
> sh.
>     OpenPKG 2.2-SOLID Source Bootstrap Package, version 2.2.1
>     Building for prefix /kolab on current platform
>     ++ extracting OpenPKG source distribution
>     openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.src.sh:ERROR: failed to unpack into directory
> "openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.src"
>     /tmp/obmtool.6229.tmp: line

You could check in the  /tmp/obmtool.6229.tmp file to
see what commands it was trying to execute?

> 440: /kolab/RPM/PKG/openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.*-*-*.sh: No such file or
> directory
>     obmtool:ERROR: bootstrapping failed
>
> Now I am Logged in as root
> / has 31Gb available space
>     it creates /kolab
>     with the following sub directories:
>         RPM
>         PKG
>         SRC
>         TMP
>
>     it also copies the following files into
>
>         PKG :
>
>             openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.src.rpm
>             openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.src.sh
>
>         and TMP
>
>             openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.src
>             openpkg-2.2.1-2.2.1.src.sh
>
>         and that is as far as it gets.
>
> I have tried several different distributions:
>
>    Fedora Core 2,  Fedora Core 3
>    RHEL3 and Rhel 4.
>    The only one i have got it to compile on is Mandrake 10.1

Fedora and Redhat should work, there were a few success stories
reported on the lists and the forum. E.g see

http://www.eforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=144
http://www.zonatim.com/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=KolabInstallFedoraCore2&back=KolabSambaFedora

Especially you changed working directory to /kolabtemp I assume
and have the right permissions in /kolab in in there.
I usually do   ./obmtool kolab , but that should not change much.
Try the LANG=C environment variable on Redhat, though.

Bernhard