Kolab2 and Horde

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 30 01:21:56 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 03:21, Roy Hoobler wrote:
> Has anyone tried this out.  Is it worth looking at?

yes, i'm running it in production right now. it's a little rough around the
corners as far as confguration gos, but it's been pretty solid thus far and
once past the config annoyances the users are seeming to be pretty happy with
it.

i didn't bother installing it within the kolab environment, however, since i
didn't feel like recompiling and tweaking apache and php. instead i just set
it up in a "regular" apache + php environment on the box and it works quite
well.

really, my only complaint at this point was the amount of tweaking i ended up
doing to get decent performance and a nice look. it's not yet for the faint
of heart, but if you're a decent sys admin you won't have any problems.

> There is some intrest in in making Kontact more of a CRM app.

i'm not sure where you got this impression from, but kontact will remain a
groupware client first and foremost.

i certainly expect to see optional CRM components arrive on the scene for
kontact around the KDE4 time frame, though. which is a good thing as that
will enable it to enter heretofore "hands-off" markets for open source. but
as with all components in kontact, they will be easy to disable or even just
not install at all.

> Maybe using Horde is a better alternative?

i think it's a great compliment. i still use kontact over the web client for
reasons of speed and integration, however.

kdepim-users at kde.org

--
Aaron J. Seigo