exchange server as Kolab2 slave?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Feb 15 15:52:02 CET 2005

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 13:29, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> This is part of testing Kolab2 in a small company. Together with other
> companies (exchange2000 and exchange2003) we want to share common
> resources (e.g. rooms, beamer, notebooks).

> After testing Kolab2, I think resource management could be better done
> with Kolab and native clients. But what would be a good solution for
> the external exchange/outlook-users? They dont like an extra
> webinterface. Is it possible zu sync these data between Exchange and
> Kolab somehow

A solution depends on more parameters and how you want to manage the resouces.
One idea:
    Make ressource accounts with invitation policy
   reject if conflicts and access from all three companies.

Now they can all invite those resources.
The question is when to see how a resources is free.
This is usually done via the freebusy lists.
Outlook at least can search the freebusy lists
somewhere else, there is a calendar option to search
them from a server where you can use the macros
%NAME% and %SERVER%.
So if you invite  room at firstcompany.net
%SERVER% will be replaced with "firstcompany.net" which
can be used to query a different server for the freebusy list.

I don't know how this setting conflicts with the exchange settings
as I do not have much knowledge about exchange.
If this does not conflict, then your external ol users can do both:
Invite the room@ and see the freebusy list with out web.

Bernhard