testing kmail dimap and kolab

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed May 12 17:07:59 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 00:06, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> after some time I restarted testing kolab with kmail (kontact) from kdepim
> CVS_HEAD.

Thanks for testing this is very helpful.

> Last time I tested this setup with thousands of server-side
> filtered mails it was not usable cause synching between server and dimap
> folder was too slow.
> This has changed! Now I can start using it. Synching of 19 folders with
> ~60000 mails needs 3 1/2 minutes (Athlon 1Ghz).

This was one of the goals of proko2 to change this.

> Still a problem is, that
> synching need 100% CPU power. So, checking for new mails means polling the
> server synching every 5 minutes - most of the time with 100% CPU power. Is
> it possible to make the check for new mails less CPU power hungry? Maybe a
> simple serverside "has-changed"-flag per folder?

It is not as simple as that.
The next step I envision is to have sync options per folder.

> Still a problem when activating kolab support in kontact is that everytime
> I start kontact it wants to create the groupware folders.

Known bug:
https://intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue74

> Keep up the good work! Kolab-support and serverside filters are must-have
> features for the next kde-pim release. In October I have to present a
> groupware solution for a small company and I would like to show Kolab and
> Kontact :-)

As many Free Software project, this depends on people taking interest,
so keep on the good testing! ;)

Bernhard