testing kmail dimap and kolab

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Wed May 12 00:06:44 CEST 2004

Hi lists (crossposting ;-)

after some time I restarted testing kolab with kmail (kontact) from kdepim
CVS_HEAD. Last time I tested this setup with thousands of server-side
filtered mails it was not usable cause synching between server and dimap
folder was too slow.
This has changed! Now I can start using it. Synching of 19 folders with ~60000
mails needs 3 1/2 minutes (Athlon 1Ghz). Still a problem is, that synching
need 100% CPU power. So, checking for new mails means polling the server
synching every 5 minutes - most of the time with 100% CPU power. Is it
possible to make the check for new mails less CPU power hungry? Maybe a
simple serverside "has-changed"-flag per folder?

Still a problem when activating kolab support in kontact is that everytime I
start kontact it wants to create the groupware folders.

Keep up the good work! Kolab-support and serverside filters are must-have
features for the next kde-pim release. In October I have to present a
groupware solution for a small company and I would like to show Kolab and
Kontact :-)

Bye

  Thorsten