WIKI extension?

Jon Bendtsen jon at kollegiegaarden.dk
Thu Aug 19 23:45:50 CEST 2004

Den 19. aug 2004, kl. 23:18, skrev Markus Heller:

> Hi guys,
>
> friends and I have been discussing about which were the necessary
> features of
> the ideal collaboration tools. We found that in many enterprises many
> discussions are led by huge email threads. Some more matured
> enterprises use
> newsgroups for that. Though, knowledge on certain projects and varius
> other
> things is simply not made available to all those who really need it.

mailing lists are usefull as well.

> In our eyes a wiki is the best system to organize knowledge in an open
> and
> easy-to-use way. Wiki systems are widespread in the OpenSource world.
> We
> wonder: Why is the wiki technology not part of kolab / kontact?

yes knowledge, but maybe thats not how people use them long email
threads
you talk about. Maybe they use those to discuss how to do something,
not how
something is done.

> The requirements specification would be this:
> - - have a wiki server as part of kolab
> - - have the wiki operate through ssl and only on authentification

that shouldnt be too hard.

> - - have the wiki organize its pages depending on visibility rights
> which are
> derived from a group system. --> Not every employee will be entitled
> to see
> information from every knowledge field in an enterprise. So this
> constitutes
> the need for a dynamic group system..., which should be part of the
> architecture anyway, right?

what else could the group system be used for? well, email diskussions :)

> - - have a wiki client as part of kontact and/or as an independent
> application.

normaly a browser is used.

> This may be konqueror with a preset url and with previous
> authentification to
> the kolab/wiki server. The authentification must be transparent.
>
> We have come to understand that knotes is fine for personal purposes,
> but
> inadequate for sharing information on an enterprise level.
>
> What do you think of this?

Great, how long time do you need to code it ;-p

Which wiki would you use? Personaly i prefer dokuwiki
	http://www.splitbrain.org/dokuwiki/wiki:dokuwiki
but is has no authentication build in.

JonB