kolab 1->2 migration

Patrick M. Ammann pammann at gmx.ch
Mon Apr 19 19:29:13 CEST 2004

Hello

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

>On Friday 16 April 2004 00:12, Patrick M. Ammann wrote:
>

>>How long will kolab 1 be maintained, is there something planed
>>to get fixed RPM packages for it?
>>

>A good question.
>It depends from whom you have gotten a Kolab1 installation.
>Where Kolab has been deployed by companies, they
>will support Kolab1 as long as their customers wishes (and pays for).

i used the "offical" packages (RPMs) from
http://www.erfrakon.de/projects/kolab/download/kolab-server-1.0/bin/Debian-3.0/
Where can i get updated packages (RPMs) for this kolab1 installation?

>As Kolab is a new project, our community has not been strong
>enough to build a framework for smooth drop in updates.
>This is not a bad situation as it is reasonable easy to support Kolab1
>yourself on server side.

Why must everyone himself compile updated packages and not do it central
for the comunity?
Updated packages are very important anyway!

> When security bugs are found in components Kolab uses,
>
>"upstream" will usually fix them fast.
>You can use the vendor patches then to build new RPMs
>or ask your vendor to do it.

who is such a vendor?

>Our plan is to improve integration with the OpenPGK project.
>Then you can just get their new packages, making the process easier.

That would be very cool :-)

Thanks Patrick