Proko2 is Good News Towards Kolab2

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sun Apr 11 15:19:23 CEST 2004

Am Thursday 08 April 2004 10:51 pm schrieb Ilja:

Hi Ilja,

> I agree that a database backend introduces overhead, and this will
> certainly hit you if you have a small site. If you have a larger site,
> with thousands of users, using a database can be very helpful.

If the site becomes _very_ large then traditional relational databases are
really in trouble. Look how much effort big companies like Oracle put into
their products in order to let them scale.

On the other hand companies like Google who _really_ handle enourmeous amounts
of data don't use relational databases to store their content.

It is an old _myth_ that relational databases are fast. Actually plain access
to files is faster in most cases already. e.g. there is a reason why people
still use files for their high performance webservers instead of putting
everything including pictures etc. in a relational db.

Yours,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de