[Kroupware] Disconnected imap (was: Re: Proko2 is Good News Towards Kolab2)

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sun Apr 11 15:11:14 CEST 2004

Am Friday 09 April 2004 10:32 am schrieb Frederik Himpe:

Hi Frederik,

> > what? no way, people need to be able to see their email, calendar and
> > other
> > data from a disconnected laptop.

Yes, this is _one_ of the reasons to use dIMAP.

> We need both, when there's a connection with the server, things should be
> updated immediately on the server, when there's no connection, it should
> work on cached information and synchronize at first login.

Yes, this is exaclty how dIMAP works.

> Anyway, the use of disconnected IMAP, was for us also the reason not to
> use kolab, it is much too confusing to users that their info is not
> updated immediately.

IMHO this is a missunderstanding.
_Nothing_ within the dIMAP protocol prevents from an immediate synchronization
in case the client is online.

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de