General questions about Kolab

Alex Chejlyk alex at swiftnetcomputers.biz
Tue Apr 6 18:53:53 CEST 2004

The client could have their domain name parked on a name server on the
Internet. The isp that is providing the Internet connection would create a
record for that domain pointing to your client's ip. This is usually done at
no charge, the isp just puts mail.yourclient.com and its associated ip on
their name server. All mail destined for that domain will then be pointed to
your ip and then "you got mail"

An example using verizon as the isp and names4ever as the registrar:

client goes to names4ever to get a domain name.
the name is created and is parked on names4ever's name server.
client's isp, verizon, puts mail.client.com on their nameserver and points it
at your ip. These "big boys" handle the Internet DNS, your firewall then
needs to forward mail (tcp/ip port 25) to your internal mail server.

This is a simplified version, and I hope it makes sense.

The internal DNS isn't really a necessity given the size of your client, but
it is fairly easy to setup. I suggest that you use a DHCP server in
conjunction with the internal DNS if the clients aren't using static
addresses, this way the DNS server will know who has what address.

You can always set all users up with static ip's and use a hosts file if you
aren't confident in setting up DNS.

Hope this helps,

Alex