show-time-as and out-of-office in v3

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Thu Jun 21 21:12:05 CEST 2012

Hey,

What I get by now, is that the out-of-office thingy is an actually useful and
requested feature, with the usecase of being able to check in a shared
calendar if a coworker is in his office or not.

I already lined out how I would like to see that implemented, and similarily I
would put that to the location in the Kontact UI.

So as a first step:
* Add it to kolabxml event
* Add support for it in KCalCore
* Add it to the Kontact UI

So that would already make this feature useful when looking at a shared
calendar of a coworker, it has nothing to do with F/B so far though.

For F/B I don't see this feature to be useful at the moment. For all I know,
the only place where you get in touch with F/B data is the event scheduling
part of the Kontact Event Editor, and also there you only actually get to see
it, if a conflict has been detected. So in the current state, there is IMO not
much point in adding it to F/B which is in Kontact a pure scheduling assistant
for detecting&resolving scheduling conflicts.

Now we want to use f/b additionally as a strapped down/read-only version of a
calendar, which is IMO a rather different usecase.

>From a Kontact POV that means we need an akonadi resource (either kolab or
standalone) which converts f/b into calendars, at which point the X-
OUTOFOFFICE, in the F/B object, as well as all of XFB actually becomes useful
(as they become visible to the user).

This may all have been clear for you all along, it wasn't for me, which is why
I wrote it down.

Regarding show-time-as and the MS equivalent (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-
us/library/ee219533(v=exchg.80)), I'm not aware of any usecase for it, and
it's IMO entierly redundant:

* FREE: For scheduling purpose we have already TRANSP
* TENTATIVE: TRANSP for scheduling, we can tentatively attend to your own
event, for the event there is STATUS with the values ("TENTATIVE",
"CONFIRMED", "CANCELLED".)
* BUSY: For scheduling purpose we have already TRANSP
* OutOfOffice: Is really about where I am and has nothing to do with scheduling
or alike.

I'd be especially interested if the Roundcube developers would agree to that,
and consequently remove it from the Roundcube UI.

Otherwise, unless somebody speaks up, I pretty much know what to do:

First steps:
* Add Out-Of-Office to kolabxml event
* Add support for it in KCalCore
* Add Out-Of-Office to the Kontact UI
* SFB for scheduling

Next steps:
* XFB (including Out-Of-Office)
* Freebusy calendars in Kontact

Where I see especially the "Next step" as something for after the first release
of kolab 3.0 as it requires some work on Kontact, but also the UI for Out-Of-
Office + KCalCore modifications might take some time.

Cheers,
Christian