show-time-as and out-of-office in v3

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Wed Jun 20 12:44:43 CEST 2012

On Wednesday 20 June 2012 11.04:43 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On 2012-06-20 10:45, Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I looks like we finally do need the out-of-office feature.
> >
> > In kolabv2 we had show-time-as with the values free, tentative, busy,
> > or
> > outofoffice. Which was a mix of the TRANSPARENCY setting with some
> > others.
> >
> > In the v3 I propose the following:
> > * TRANSPARENCY to control if an event shows up in f/b (already done)
> > * STATUS for tentative etc. (already done)
> > * introduce boolead x-out-of-office to LOCATION, to annotate that
> > we're out of office.
>
> Why not model this exactly the way it already has for Microsoft and
> Apple products:
>
>    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee219533%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

Thanks for the hint.
The point I was trying to make is that everything except out-of-office is
already modeled in xCal, and out-of-office is not really a scheduling thing, but
just an information for the user that he shouldn't walk over to the office of
the contact at that time.

If we just add this property, as puerly informal property, which is not taken
into account for scheduling, not much harm will be done I suppose.
I would find the FREE/TENTATIVE/BUSY values rather pointless though.

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee200935(v=exchg.80) the
semantics between TRANSP and BUSYSTATUS overlap, as the information is also
taken into account for scheduling, which I definitely don't like.

So I still think we should do it as I proposed. We could instead add X-
MICROSOFT-CDO-BUSYSTATUS as informal property if you like, I could live with
that.

> > For the out-of-office to become actually useful, as it is a
> > kolab-specific
> > feature,
>
> It doesn't seem to be a feature exclusive to Kolab at all.

Indeed, not part of xCal though.

Cheers,
Christian