How to conclude KEP2 for good

Florian v. Samson florian.samson at bsi.bund.de
Tue Apr 5 14:41:37 CEST 2011

Jeroen,

Am Dienstag, 5. April 2011 um 10:45:04 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
Systems):
> Florian v. Samson wrote:
> > Am Montag, 4. April 2011 um 20:19:22 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
> > Systems):
> > > One is not tied in with the other.
> >
> > Oh, I did believe so as well as couple of months ago, but meanwhile for
> > me (and Georg) it became apparent, that choosing UTC in (2a) needs
> > embedding TZ-data in (1d).  ["DST assumption" was Georg's term, though
> > it is more than that as Bernhard depicted: "The TZ-data/-definition
> > used for the calculation of UTC date-times".]
>
> Too bad that the assumption Georg made is faulty to begin with.

IMO it is not faulty at all, his terminology is just very confusing.
So it took Bernhard and me quite a while to understand, that it just
means "the TZ-data used for the calculation of UTC date-times".

> When storing UTC, there is no "DST Assumption"

There *must* be "TZ-data used for the calculation of UTC date-times",
otherwise one is unable to calculate "the users intent" (i.e. local time)
correctly from UTC.

> just like there is no UTCWND or UTCWSD -

Well, such things are there, practically, as long a someone strongly
believes in them.  You have seen it in this discussion thread: it takes one
strong believer to let the discussion circle around these things for quite
a while, even though the vast majority of people does believe that they do
not exist.  A similar issue exists with god, but now it gets really
philosophical. ;-)

> this terminology has been made up to confuse and justify the
> argument and bears no weight at all.

Jeroen, while I do agree that Georg's line of arguments
utilising "UTCWND" "bears no weight", I would not impute Georg to "have
made up this terminology only in order to confuse and justify the argument
for the argument's sake" (lax quoting with some additional emphasis).
I rather assume that the confusion was on his side, as we all lost ourselves
more than once in this logic jungle.

Cheers
	Florian