DRAFT UPDATE: KEP2: Modification of datetime type, introduction of 'tz' sub-tag (revision #10662)

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Thu Nov 25 17:14:54 CET 2010

Hi all,

An updated revision of KEP2 has been made available at

	http://wiki.kolab.org/User:Greve/Drafts:KEP:2

The two main edits have been:

RFC3339 rationale: Some cleanup & added precision based on feedback.

The rationale of using RFC3339 for future-proofing Kolab XML against inclusion
of additonal technologies that require the higher precision of RFC3339 against
the currently defined subset has been made explicit.

XML version: Several people pointed out that some older clients do NOT honor
the "leave unknown fields untouched" rule, and can be expected to strip out the
tz field.

So I fear the only sensible path forward is to designated KEP2 towards the
changeset for XML object version 1.1, so the XML version can be used to
identify entries made by newer clients, as well as prevent older clients from
modification.

This would then be true for all object types, although the updates for other
object types can probably be delayed, if deemed useful, only the one for event
should be done and can be rolled into one changeset together with KEP3.

If you have further comments, please ensure you provide them soon, so we can
move towards finalizing this because the people working on the Evolution
project require this to be finalized in December.

All comments should go to kolab-format at kolab.org, as usual.

Best regards,
Georg

--