Timezone / recurrence scheduling discussion for Kolab

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Wed Nov 3 10:12:05 CET 2010

Hi David, John, Sergio,

Tobias told me you're the people to contact about time zone issues.

Background is that several people identified a gap in Kolab's handling of
recurring events when multiple time zones are involved, and we're wondering
how to resolve this. An explanation of the issue can be found here:

 http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-format/2010-October/001004.html

For simplicity, I've come to refer to this as "the 'sticky' time zone issue"
and here is a short summary of proposed solutions:

 http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-format/2010-October/001006.html

The people who work on native Kolab support for Evolution have proposed (and
begun to implement) the following approach:

 http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-format/2010-October/000999.html

But naturally this forks the format, and will break compatibility with all
other clients, which is not a satisfactory outcome.

So we should find a good way to approach this issue.

The question to you is: From your experience, which would be the most sensible
approach, and would disrupt Kontact the least, with the least disruption of
backward compatibility?

Your input would really be appreciated.

Best regards,
Georg