UPDATE: KEP 2: Modification of datetime type: introduction of 'tz' attribute (revision 10737)

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Wed Dec 15 19:50:26 CET 2010

Hi all,

Based on plenty of feedback collected on the list, as well as through hours of
telephone calls with Till Adam, Allen Winter and Bernhard Reiter, I've tried
to work in all the feedback, with the most important changes being:

 * tz now an attribute, not a nested tag
 * RFC3339 parsing now optional

You can find the updated version online at the usual location:

	http://wiki.kolab.org/User:Greve/Drafts:KEP:2

Some background is that the people working on Kontact would find it a lot
easier to work with attributes than nested tags.

This also being the more elegant solution, and provided that noone objected
while some people explicitly stated this was not a problem, I think it makes
sense to move down that path.

Also the way the Zulu format is mandated has been adjusted to match Henriks
explicit preference, with an explicit notion that this MIGHT be changed for
other events later.

And finally, the parsing of RFC3339 or ISO8601 has become a recommended option
for clients to increase robustness, but is no longer mandatory. From a long
discussion with Bernhard also followed that we'll likely propose a KEP that
mandates client behaviour for checking the correctness of entries, and
suggested reactions.

So expect more on that front in the future.

In the meantime, the KEP also has more rationale, some more verbose
explanations where people suggested the rationale should be extended, and
hopefully some useful restructuring / editing.

Please give this one a fresh read if you care about the outcome.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve