timezone external or internal (Re: KEP 2: Modification of datetime type, introduction of 'tz' sub-tag)

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Tue Dec 14 18:18:50 CET 2010

Hi Bernard,

On 14 Dec 2010, at 6:07 PM, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> My first idea of an update mechanism would be: also save the Olson name
> and the revision of the Olson database file. If a client has a newer revision,
> it can suggest to update the description to the user. This only works of
> course, if it can be decided from the revision what is the newer file.
> I have hoping that the Olson database provided something like this,
> eyeballing the files, I saw something like a version number:
> ! # @(#)australasia     8.19

This is all good and fine, but Outlook does the calculation. We do not know what version of the database they are using or even if they are using the Olson database at all. Making this a requirement will start eroding the to compatibility between clients.

Best Regards

Joon Radley

Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557
Fax: +27 (0)86 547 2353