Fwd: [Kolab-devel] Non-standard IMAP flags in KMail

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Sep 24 07:50:50 CEST 2007

Am Freitag 14 September 2007 schrieb Volker Krause:

Hi Volker,

can you please explain which new commands (if possible verbatim) there will be
on the IMAP tcp connection?

With which servers did you test?

Regards,
-- martin

> Forwarded here as suggested by Bernhard.

> Subject: [Kolab-devel] Non-standard IMAP flags in KMail
> Date: Monday 10 September 2007
> From: Volker Krause <volker at kdab.net>
> To: kolab-devel at kolab.org
>
> Hi,
>
> we have been implemeting support for storing all message status flags of
> KMail on a Kolab server. So far only standard IMAP flags (seen, answered,
> important) haven been stored there. For the non-standard flags (todo,
> forwarded, ignored, watched) I have been looking at what IMAP flags other
> mail clients use for that, with the following results:
>
> - Outlook 2007 is claimed to support only one flag for IMAP items, no idea
> if this is correct (I don't have it here to test it myself), but it would
> mean there is no support for custom IMAP flags. Can anyone confirm this? -
> Thunderbird uses $labelN
> - there is a draft dealing with extended IMAP flags:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-melnikov-imap-keywords-03
> However, this still does not cover all flags we need (watched and ignored
> are missing).
>
> Has anyone additional information on that topic, ie. which mail client uses
> what additional IMAP flags?
>
> Overall, it seems that $<name> is the "standard" way of dealing with
> extended flags that have a general, not client-specific meaning. So, unless
> that conflicts badly with any other client out there, I would suggest to
> follow that for KMail by using $ToDo, $Forwarded, $Ignored, $Watched.
>
> regards
> Volker
>
> --
> Volker Krause -- volker at kdab.net, vkrause at kde.org
> Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB, Platform-independent software solutions

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
-- martin konold

--
e r f r a k o n
Sitz: Adolfstraße 23 Stuttgart - Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126